MS Colorfast45 is Proven Protection,
Through and Through
The ultimate lifespan of steel roof and wall panels depends on the quality of the coating system that protects it.
Inferior coatings will not protect the steel substrate from harsh elements, and will be susceptible to corrosion, chalking and color fading.
This is why Metal Sales is committed to using only the highest quality products for its coating systems.
MS Colorfast45® is a multi-layer coating system proven superior in every respect layer by layer.
MS Colorfast45 uses a combination of select inorganic and ceramic pigments for coloring. These pigments offer years of exceptional performance in harsh weather and resist color change, acids, alkalis and oxidizing agents found in harsh environments. Some manufacturers use organic pigments that quickly degrade and change color at more than twice the rate of their ceramic and inorganic counterparts.
Inorganic – pigments that are synthetic or natural and do not contain carbon compounds and provide excellent long-term performance.
Ceramic – complex inorganic pigments made from mixed metal oxides synthesized at molten metal temperatures. These are the most color stable pigments available today and offer resistance to heat, light and chemical exposure.
MS Colorfast45 Test Performance & Specifications
- Humidity Resistance – No blistering, cracking, peeling, loss of gloss or softening of the finish after 1200 hours of exposure to 100% humidity at 100ºF ± 5ºF, per ASTM D 2247.
- Chalk Resistance – No chalking greater than 8 rating on vertical applications (7 on non-vertical) per ASTM D 4214-89, Method A test procedure, after 2000 hour weatherometer test.
- Color Change – Finish color coat change not to exceed 5 Hunter units on vertical applications (6 on non-vertical) per ASTM D 2244 test procedure, after 2000 hour weatherometer test.
- Exterior Weathering – Florida exposure (45º south) and EMMAQUA testing, per ASTM D 4141, Procedure C.
- Abrasion Resistance – Per ASTM D 968, Method A, will pass 30 liters/mil, minimum of falling sand.
- Salt Spray Resistance – Samples diagonally scored and subjected to 5% neutral salt spray per ASTM B 117, then taped with cellophane tape: 1000 hours-no blistering, and no loss of adhesion greater than 1/8” from score line. Samples taped 1 hour after removal from test cabinet.
- Chemical Resistance – No significant color change after 24 hours exposure to 10% solutions of hydrochloric and sulfuric acids, per ASTM D 1308, Procedure 7.2, after 2000 hour weatherometer test.
Superior Resin. Superior Performance.
The proprietary resin provides the backbone for the revolutionary silicone-modified polyester (SMP) system on MS Colorfast45. The combination of inorganic and ceramic pigments, along with other enhancements, create the most durable SMP finish available. The two-coat system is made up of a high-performance primer that provides exceptional resistance to moisture and UV exposure. The topcoat provides the best color stability and gloss retention of any SMP product available today.
Standing the Test of Time
Some manufacturers only subject their coating systems to “simulated” accelerated weathering tests, which do not yield the same accurate and reliable results as real-world testing. Instead, MS Colorfast45 has undergone rigorous real-world weathering tests, lasting more than a decade in south Florida. The results are truly remarkable. MS Colorfast45 proves its ability to hold up to continuous and long-term exposure to the sweltering sun and high humidity of south Florida – proof positive that the coating system can withstand the test of time for any project.
The same high-performance pigments that resist color change are also designed to reflect the sun’s solar energy before it can be absorbed as heat, keeping the metal roof cooler than traditional roofs. The infrared-reflective pigments can lower roof surface temperature by up to 100˚F. The result is a building that stays cooler and reduces energy use. All standard Metal Sales colors are ENERGY STAR® listed and many meet requirements for the Cool Roof Rating Council (CRRC) for solar reflectance.
Metal Sales has stood behind its commitment to provide the highest-quality products available for more than 50 years. That’s why MS Colorfast45 includes an industry-leading 45 Year Finish Warranty.
Download MS Colorfast45® Resources: